Monday, July 11, 2011

Restocking

Took a day off of working out to restock the fridge today.  It felt good to grocery shop and then stand at the sink prepping the fruits and vegetables for grab-and-go convenience.  It felt great looking over my receipt and realizing that most of the items were items that came without brand names:  bananas, melon, peaches, lime, kale, mangoes, etc. 

In March I took an adventure down the Paleo Diet path.  My friend Bridget had told me a bit about it, and I looked into it.  I have struggled to maintain my weight for four or five years, always wishing that I could lose but being content just so long as the number didn't go up.  I have tried many different things, but nothing this extreme.  It may not be right for everybody, but it's definitely right for me.  Most importantly I learned that I have a real sensitivity to wheat products/gluten.  I puff up like a balloon! I can gain five pounds of water/digestion weight just from a small amount, and it leaves me feeling like I have the worst hangover. No wonder I was having a difficult time losing weight when I was eating food that was making me sick without even knowing it!  Anyway, I love the Paleo Diet because I can eat a wide variety of foods, there aren't any "phases" or "stages" as you might find on other diets, and it's definitely a lifestyle that is easy to live with. 

A few things I've noticed since changing my diet at the end of March:
  • I managed to shimmy off fifteen pounds in just a few months!
  • Running is easier, and I don't feel the same arthritis pain in my knees, even if I run several days in a row.
  • I noticed that I had some minor skin irritations that I thought I was stuck with for life, but now they have cleared up.
  • Junk food cravings seemed to fall by the wayside as my body got accustomed to healthier options. Waving off the dessert cart has become a non-issue, perhaps because I realized my gluten sensitivity.
  • There are more, but I can't think of them all right now.  I'll keep you posted as I become more disciplined in my meal planning and snacking again.
Anyway, we just had vacation month, and I relaxed my standards for a few weeks.  I ate lunch meats and cheese, drank milk and soda, and indulged perhaps a little too frequently.  Four of my pounds seemed to come home from vacation with me.  I'm not surprised, but I'm not inviting them to move in permanently, either.  Today I restocked my fridge with all Paleo friendly foods with the exception of plain yogurt, which I keep for a quick breakfast with some honey and walnuts. 

I invite anyone who is interested in trying the Paleo Diet or a modified version of it to ask questions.  I needed a change, and this worked.  I know there are others out there that this will work for -- anyone who wants an easy to follow "diet plan" who likes to have a wide variety of foods throughout the day.  This definitely doesn't leave you feeling "stuck in a rut!"


Okay, now off to grill up some pork chops.  Mom and Dad are coming over for dinner!

Please share...  What foods or diets have you found that really work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment