In March I took an adventure down the Paleo Diet path. My friend Bridget had told me a bit about it, and I looked into it. I have struggled to maintain my weight for four or five years, always wishing that I could lose but being content just so long as the number didn't go up. I have tried many different things, but nothing this extreme. It may not be right for everybody, but it's definitely right for me. Most importantly I learned that I have a real sensitivity to wheat products/gluten. I puff up like a balloon! I can gain five pounds of water/digestion weight just from a small amount, and it leaves me feeling like I have the worst hangover. No wonder I was having a difficult time losing weight when I was eating food that was making me sick without even knowing it! Anyway, I love the Paleo Diet because I can eat a wide variety of foods, there aren't any "phases" or "stages" as you might find on other diets, and it's definitely a lifestyle that is easy to live with.
A few things I've noticed since changing my diet at the end of March:
- I managed to shimmy off fifteen pounds in just a few months!
- Running is easier, and I don't feel the same arthritis pain in my knees, even if I run several days in a row.
- I noticed that I had some minor skin irritations that I thought I was stuck with for life, but now they have cleared up.
- Junk food cravings seemed to fall by the wayside as my body got accustomed to healthier options. Waving off the dessert cart has become a non-issue, perhaps because I realized my gluten sensitivity.
- There are more, but I can't think of them all right now. I'll keep you posted as I become more disciplined in my meal planning and snacking again.
I invite anyone who is interested in trying the Paleo Diet or a modified version of it to ask questions. I needed a change, and this worked. I know there are others out there that this will work for -- anyone who wants an easy to follow "diet plan" who likes to have a wide variety of foods throughout the day. This definitely doesn't leave you feeling "stuck in a rut!"
Okay, now off to grill up some pork chops. Mom and Dad are coming over for dinner!
Please share... What foods or diets have you found that really work for you?